Mrs Fania Mahony at the Dublin Horse Show
Mrs Judy Mac Mahon was a founding member of our association. She is pictured below on Golden Comet who won his middleweight class and championship as well as his ladies class and championship before going supreme hunter champion of the Dublin Horse Show.
- Our Association is devoted to the promotion & preservation of the fine art of riding side saddle in Ireland.
- We have a small but active club, we organize training clinics which occur regularly throughout the year as well as dozens of affiliated classes throughout the country.
- We provide a seasonal rental service of side saddles for our members & we also have a small selection of habits for hire
- If you are running a show and would like to hold a side saddle class, please affiliate so that our members may compete for our annual points awards.
- Members can keep a record of their winnings by downloading a points sheet which must be returned by 30th September each year in order to be eligible for trophies, rosettes and prizes.
- If you have saddles or habits that you would like to sell, please contact us and we will advertise them here for you or buy them for use by the Association.
- Please see the various tabs on our website for further information and the necessary forms.
- We are currently in the process of becoming an affiliate club of Horse Sport Ireland and more details will be circulated to members shortly.
Carlow Farmers Hunt are running their point to point at Borris House in County Carlow on the 11th of December. They will be running a side saddle race on the flat, open to ladies on their hunters. More information will be available soon.
So we have put together the classes for our cross country competition on the 12th of November. Starting at 9.00 am
Pre Novice(Single & Pairs) 80cm approx
Novice…(Single and Pairs) 90 cm approx
Side Saddle 80 cm approx
Entries: €25 singles, €30 pairs
We have put together the following clinics with dates and pricing. If you would like to get more details or book a place for any of these, please e-mail us on email@example.com.
We are running a day cross country clinic on Saturday, the 29th of October. There will be two lessons with lunch in between as well as morning and afternoon refreshments. Own horses are welcome. Price €125 per person.
We are running two separate 3 day residential clinics, both with full board and six sessions. The dates are from Thursday 13th to Sunday 16th October and from Thursday 20th to Sunday 23rd October. Price €685 pps Own horse welcome, stable and straw bedding for the 3 night €65.
Our week long adult clinic with full board and 10 riding sessions plus entry into the cross country competition on the 12th will run from the 6th to 13th November. Polly Holohan will host two of the sessions to help you reach your goals! Price €1250 pps Own horse welcome, stable and straw bedding for the 7 nights €140.
Finally our teenage camp will run during the school Halloween Holidays from the 29th to the 5th of November. Price €990 Own horse/pony welcome, stable and straw bedding for the 7 nights €140. All of these are strictly limited to small numbers of participants.
Please let us know if we can help you with any further details
Tipperary Foxhounds will host a Ladies Side Saddle Flat Race on Sunday 4th December in Lisronagh, Clonmel, distance; 1mile & a quarter, straight after point to point races.
Time: 2.30pm approx.
Lady Riders must be over 18
Only non-thoroughbred horses
Please contact Jacqui Stokes 087 2629950 or Ber Bourke 086 8351518 for further details. Application forms will be available from 05th October.
Dear members, please download and return your show points to the Hon Secretary (Ciara O’Connell) by the 30th of September 2016.
Points will be calculated for affiliated shows on the following basis: 10 points for a win, 8 for 2nd place, 6 for 3rd place, 4 for 4th place and 2 for 5th place.
Please click here to download your form: 2016-show-points
The Laois Hunt will host a side saddle lawn meet at Stradbally Hall on Saturday 17th of December by kind permission of Mr Thomas Cosby. This meet is the home of the Electric Picnic and the famous cross country course used by the Pony Club, Riding Club and Eventing Ireland among others, several parts of the cross country course will be open on the day and the rest of the country covered will feature Laois drains and banks. There will be plenty of jumping for those who want it and ways around for riders that are not so confident. Hirelings can be arranged for overseas visitors, all ladies must supply their own side saddle. After the meet there will be refreshments served in the local pub. Stabling can be arranged for anyone bringing their own horse. Cap for Side Saddle visitors and their partners is 30 euro, please phone David Lalor on 0872542114 or Ciara O’Connell on 0872266321 for further information